“I want to be known, recognised, respected while building new growth opportunities for myself.”
If the above line resonates with your motto in life, then you need to start building your personal brand today! Whether you are outstanding at what you do or lost in a crowd of experts like you, Personal branding is the magical key to fame, success, recognition and growth. If done right, it can work like a magnet for attracting opportunities and people for an expert, a working professional or an entrepreneur.
Why should you invest in Personal Branding?
Firstly, it helps you differentiate yourself and stand out from the crowd in your industry. Secondly, it allows you to showcase your unique strengths, skills and expertise, making you a valuable asset to your team, organisation or customers. Thirdly, it helps establish credibility and trust with your audience, which will further build meaningful relationships and strong partnerships. While all of the above build great confidence and self-esteem, a strong personal brand can open up new opportunities for your career and collaboration. For example, if you are seen as a proficient speaker at one event, it builds a door for another speaking opportunity.
How to create your Personal Brand Message?
Now that you have decided to start working on building a ‘brand you’, the starting point is to build your personal brand message. It works like an elevator pitch, a clear and concise statement about who you are, what you do, and what do you bring to the table.
The following 3 steps will help you craft your Personal brand message:
- Identify your values and goals:
Write down what is it that drives you to do what you are doing? Where do you see yourself in the near future?
- Identify your unique strengths:
What differentiates you from others at your workplace or your industry?
- Identify your target audience:
Who do you want to convey your personal brand message to-, whether it is your colleagues, your clients, investors?
For example: I am a Publicist with over a decade of experience, and I make people and brands famous with compelling content and publicity.
What are the tools to be used in Personal Brand Building?
Every action and interaction where our personal brand message is communicated is an avenue for building a strong brand. Below are 5 effective tools that will help you create an impact on your target audience:
- Social Media: The most widely available, addictive and engaging media for brand building is social media. All pieces of content posted on platforms like Linkedin, Instagram, facebook, twitter and other platforms make an impression about your personality. Our social media content can create positive as well as negative implications. “Your social media pages are your brand. Make sure they’re saying what you want them to say.” – Germany Kent.
- Podcasting: Share your thoughts, ideas and expertise through podcasts and establish a connect with your audience. You could make your podcasts more engaging by even inviting industry speakers to discuss on the topics of your interest and expertise. Podcasting can establish a voice, a style, and a message that can attract and retain loyal followers, thereby leading to opportunities and collaborations that enhance your brand value.
- Website: It’s a huge trend to build a website on individuals’ names to make an elevated impact on the audience. A website works like your personal address on the internet and is a great tool to showcase all information about you and your achievements. You can tell your own story through a website, create a professional image, establish credibility, and provide a way for people to contact and connect with you. It can also serve as a hub for social media and other online presence, which can be further amplified with digital marketing.
- Public Relations (PR): PR is the most powerful tool for brand building, be it personal or that of an organisation. It’s a strategic process of creating a positive image and reputation for an individual through strategic messaging, media coverage, and networking.By securing coverage in relevant media and publications, PR professionals can help to elevate an individual’s profile and bring their expertise or message to a wider audience. This includes traditional media outlets such as newspapers and magazines, as well as online publications, podcasts, and other digital platforms, including social media.
By highlighting your expertise and positioning you as a thought leader, PR professionals can build your authority and make you famous within your industry, community or even the world. This can lead to new opportunities, such as speaking engagements, partnerships, and collaborations, which can further enhance your brand. PR can also get you connected to influencers and strategic connections and build a strong network for you, which will, in turn, lead you to a high growth trajectory.
- Networking: Networking works like a party for your personal branding. The more number of guests you invite, the more fun it gets and the higher your chance to be the life of the party! Networking gives you the opportunity to connect with like-minded people who can get you to learn new skills and could be your mentor in your journey to progress.
Start networking by attending industry events like trade shows and conferences where you can engage with people with similar interests and expertise. You could also join networking organisations that lead you to connect with professionals from different sectors and can add tremendous value to your growth. You could also network through participating in social causes and community-building activities.
How can Mentorship help in Personal Brand building?
Along with all of the above-mentioned activities, which are easily accessible and doable, focus on finding a mentor who could help you build a personal brand. A mentor would not only motivate you at every step and give you the necessary push for working on your brand but also help you structure and execute a plan while connecting you to the right people at every stage of growth. Your mentor will be your critic, your guide and your source of encouragement. By sharing their own experiences and insights, a mentor can help you navigate challenges and identify new opportunities for building your personal brand.
“Behind every successful person, there is a mentor who believed in them and supported them along the way.” – Oprah Winfrey.
So, what are you waiting for? Start building your personal brand today and become the star of your own show! Who knows, maybe one day you’ll have your own talk show. The possibilities are endless!